Social Security Disability Benefits For Children

The Law Offices of Clark, James, Hanlin & Hunt, LLC, does not take children's Supplemental Security Income (SSI) cases. However, we will review unfavorable decisions by Administrative Law Judges who have denied a child's SSI case for consideration for a possible appeal.

Social Security Benefits For Kids

Having a disabled child is difficult. In addition to the emotional stress caused by a child's disability, many parents find it hard to pay for the added costs associated with their child's impairment.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program run by the Social Security Administration (SSA) that provides financial and medical benefits to children who are disabled. Children who qualify for SSI are automatically entitled to Medicaid coverage through the state of Alabama.

Does My Child Qualify For Social Security Benefits?

In order to qualify for SSI, a child must have an impairment that rises to the level of a disability. A list of conditions found by the SSA to be disabilities includes mental retardation, cerebral palsy, and other mental and emotional disorders. If your child's impairment is not included in this list, medical evidence and school reports are necessary to show your child's condition impairs his or her ability to function in the same manner as children of a similar age.

Once it has been shown that your child's impairment rises to the level of a disability, the SSA will determine whether financial need exists.

Unlike SSDI, SSI is not based off of earned income, but rather financial need. Because most children under 18 do not work and live with their parents or guardians, the SSA takes into consideration the financial resources of the household when determining whether a child is eligible for SSI and the amount of SSI payments.

For experienced Birmingham lawyers who can review an Administrative Law Judge denial of a claim for SSI benefits for your child, contact the Law Offices of Clark, James, Hanlin & Hunt. Call us today at 205-208-7980 or toll free at 866-596-1238.