SSI Benefits For Children Attorneys

Since 1977, the Birmingham, Alabama, Law Offices of Clark, James, Hanlin & Hunt has been helping families obtain the Social Security benefits they need to care for disabled minor children.

Social Security Benefits For Kids

Having a disabled child is difficult. In addition to the emotional stress caused by a child's disability, many parents find it hard to pay for the added costs associated with their child's impairment.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a federal program run by the Social Security Administration (SSA) that provides financial and medical benefits to children who are disabled. Children who qualify for SSI are automatically entitled to Medicaid coverage through the state of Alabama.

At Clark, James, Hanlin & Hunt, our lawyers understand the stress and worry involved when raising a disabled child. There is hope. Together, we will help your child get the SSI and Medicaid coverage he or she needs to grow and thrive.

Does My Child Qualify For Social Security Benefits?

In order to qualify for SSI, a child must have an impairment that rises to the level of a disability. A list of conditions found by the SSA to be disabilities includes mental retardation, cerebral palsy, and other mental and emotional disorders. If your child's impairment is not included in this list, medical evidence and school reports are necessary to show your child's condition impairs his or her ability to function in the same manner as children of a similar age.

Once it has been shown that your child's impairment rises to the level of a disability, the SSA will determine whether financial need exists.

Unlike SSDI, SSI is not based off of earned income, but rather financial need. Because most children under 18 do not work and live with their parents or guardians, the SSA takes into consideration the financial resources of the household when determining whether a child is eligible for SSI and the amount of SSI payments.

At the Law Offices of Clark, James, Hanlin & Hunt, our attorneys help parents and guardians of disabled minor children during every stage of their Social Security claim. Your child is entitled to Social Security benefits; our firm will help you enforce that right.

For experienced Birmingham lawyers who can help you get SSI benefits for your child, contact the Law Offices of Clark, James, Hanlin & Hunt. Call us today at 205-208-7980 or toll free at 866-596-1238. Initial consultations are free.