Due to precautions related to COVID-19, we have expanded our options for remote consultations. Please contact our office to set up a phone consultation.

Protecting The Disabled And Injured Since 1974

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Social Security Disability
  4.  » Can chronic joint pain qualify you for SSD benefits?

Protecting The Disabled And Injured Since 1974

Can chronic joint pain qualify you for SSD benefits?

On Behalf of | Jan 3, 2020 | Social Security Disability |

As you age, your body inevitably begins to deteriorate. That deterioration can often be accelerated due to injury, daily physical stresses or any other number of factors. The net result can chronic pain in the joints and extremities, which can often make completing the tasks associated with your daily routine that much more difficult. Many in Birmingham might try to argue that joint pain is something that almost everyone deals with, and thus is something that should not preclude you from working. Yet only you know how much pain you can endure, and when yours reaches the point of becoming debilitating, you may begin to wonder whether joint issues might warrant you seeking Social Security Disability assistance.

The Social Security Administration is able to provide you with financial support provided your condition meets the criteria established in its List of Impairments. Regarding joint pain, yours must involve a major peripheral joint of the upper extremity that consistently impedes your ability to perform fine and gross movements effectively.

You may also be able to qualify for SSD benefits if your joint pain is concentrated in your lower body (e.g. your ankles, knees or hips). You must demonstrate a gross anatomical deformity with one of your major weight-bearing joints that both causes you chronic pain and limits the range of motion of the affected joint. This limitation must be such that it restricts your ability to ambulate (walk around on your own) consistently.

As is the case with any claim of impairment, your assertions must be supported by clinical documentation. Your doctor and/or physical therapist (if you see one) such be able to provide you with the required materials.